Lakland Pickups
    Basic Member LOG Newbie

New member - 55-01 + 44-94 on order

Hi from the UK!

*See post #17 for update*

Active member and moderator over at Basschat.co.uk, but new over here.
    bought my first Lakland about 6months ago, a vintage white 55-01. Really impressed with it for the money, exactly what I need in a 5er (I'm mainly a 4 player).
    I swapped out the MK-1 pickup and pre in favour of Bart dual coils and an NTMB pre, so glad I did!

As well as my 55-01, until very recently (a few days), I also owned a Skyline DJ4. But I've also been speaking to Brian G about a possible US 44-64 order. In order to figure out if I will go ahead, and with what spec, I've swapped the DJ for a new Skyline 44-64 Custom P/J.
    its a tiny bit heavy, but will work fine as to test my potential spec

Doesn't seem to want me to upload a photo (either too big or 'not right extension'). Odd as it's just a photo from iPhone?!

For those interested, this is the spec I'm considering for a US Lakland order:

44-64 P/J
    44-60 Neck
    Rosewood fingerboard
    Shoreline Gold or Burgandy Mist
    Mint scratchplate

Any thoughts or suggestions on the US order (i.e. Is it worth it over the Skyline 44-64 Custom I have) welcome.

Cheers
    Si
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7208.JPG  
    Last edited by Sibob; 04-30-2017 at 05:15 AM.

Administrator Ultra LOGger
    Welcome Si!!!!

It's an honor to have you here "across the pond"......

You have a definite GREAT pair there!!!!

I just gave you a "rep"....its the star under the posting area.

As for the photo...I bet it's too large...My droid is the same....I have to reduce the size.

As for a US build...is it worth it? well....yeah!!!!

I have 9 US Lakies (and 2 Carlos) and 2 Skylines....the necks on the US models are worth the price of admission!

Also...the rosewood would be just "that much better" and I bet the bass would be lighter.....

Either color is killer in a 44-64! Very very tough choice...as I love them both alot....

I would definitely go blocks....you will love the swirl in the US more than the Skylines....

email Leo@lakland.com to get 'er going!!!

peace and again....welcome!!!

Doug
    aka "Doude" or the "frumpy one"

LOG Bass (Hanson Vintage pickup) ; 55-07 (Blue Velvet) (ChiSonic 5 string test bass - refinished); JO5CS (SN 1); US BG5 PJ (Nordy pickups);
    55-76 (Black Beauty); Carlo CB550 custom (Bubinga Brother #1); Carlo CB550 HH fretless (Bubinga Brother #2); 2002 Skyline Scheff 5
    US PJ 5 (White lightning)(Hanson Vintage pickups); Active 55-60 (oly white, matching headstock and fretless ebony board) , TABBY

Super Moderator Ultra LOGger
    Welcome Si - glad to have you aboard!

Basic Member LOG Newbie
    There we go, attached after resizing

Thanks guys!
    Still thinking about a US spec. Out of interest, has anyone ever seen a passive 44-94 with P/J pickups? Wonder if it's doable?!

Si

Supporting Member Semi-Regular LOGger
    Welcome Si! You are in the right place for Lakie info. Nice pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibob View Post

Thanks guys!
    Still thinking about a US spec. Out of interest, has anyone ever seen a passive 44-94 with P/J pickups? Wonder if it's doable?!

Si
    Its definitely doable!

LOG Bass (Hanson Vintage pickup) ; 55-07 (Blue Velvet) (ChiSonic 5 string test bass - refinished); JO5CS (SN 1); US BG5 PJ (Nordy pickups);
    55-76 (Black Beauty); Carlo CB550 custom (Bubinga Brother #1); Carlo CB550 HH fretless (Bubinga Brother #2); 2002 Skyline Scheff 5
    US PJ 5 (White lightning)(Hanson Vintage pickups); Active 55-60 (oly white, matching headstock and fretless ebony board) , TABBY

Super Moderator Ultra LOGger
    Pics are worth 1000 words!

Kane approved!!!

Supporting Member Awesome LOGger

Thanks guys!

Si
    Nice pair! Welcome, Repped!

With regards to your question, I have a 4-63, essentially a 4-94 with jazz pickups that is now called a Dual J. It originally came that way from Lakland and was later modified by Lakland to accommodate a P pickup in the neck position. So short answer, yes, it should be completely feasible to get a P/J configuration on a -94 body.

I don't believe that asking for a passive setup should be an issue either as it has been done before like on this 44 Dual J: https://www.bassclubchicago.com/prod...4dualj0030.htm
    Last edited by Black Bart; 04-11-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Added Info

Basic Member LOG Newbie
    Yeah, Brian has just confirmed it's possible.
    Hmmmmmmm

Si

Yeah, Brian has just confirmed it's possible.
    Hmmmmmmm

Si
    Awesome!!?

Congrats.

Make it happen!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Welcome. Two great basses. I especially like the PJ!
    "You ain't good enough no lessin' you got the soul" - Hubert Sumlin

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose

Administrator Awesome LOGger
    Welcome to the LOG! I repped you for a strong entrance. I have a US 44-64 in shoreline gold, but it dates back to when Lakland primarily used Pat Wilkins to paint the US instruments--they're mostly done in-house now. Good luck with your choice! FWIW, I have three US Lakies and one Skyline (and have had a couple other Skylines). Skylines are very fine instruments in their own right, but my US Lakies are fantastic.

Basic Member LOG Newbie
    So my Skyline 44-64 Custom has gone back for a refund (only had a few days).......what does this mean for a US order I wonder

Si

I'm guessing you placed an order for a US model and wanted to recoup some funds for the down?

Wahoo! Incoming US LAKIE REP!

Basic Member LOG Newbie
    Haven't made the order yet, just finalising the spec in my head, I hope to put it through some time next week perhaps, will keep you updated haha.
    But I figured that 1000 towards a US build is better than used up in a Skyline (as good as they are).

Si

Basic Member LOG Newbie
    So guess who just put their deposit down?
    Basically the Skyline 44-64 went back for a full refund, and spoke to Brian today, full steam ahead for a US 44-94!

Updates asap, 60-90 day build time apparently?!

Si

Yeah!

That's awesome!

Congrats.

60-90 days? That's quick...

Good luck with the wait... That's the hard part

Basic Member LOG Newbie
    Argh....only 20 days into the wait!!
    I'm so glad their wait times are down at the mo, really don't like waiting for new basses haha.

Si

Awesome!!!! I cannot wait to see it