D'Addario

Thread: LH-3 Rev?

Basic Member

LH-3 Rev?

Hi LOG

Great resource here - I'm Lee from the UK and just got a USA 44-94. Got a few small issues. The previous owner has clearly had a go at the wiring (see pic) - I've now put the wiring back to factory standard. I'm trying to get to the bottom of why the vol pot is noisey and noticed that the LH-3 fitted is a Rev A - as this bass is a 2013 this can't be right or am I missing something? The previous owner swears blind he never touched the electrics but clearly this is not true. I just want to find out if this is the original LH-3 as it appears to be a Rev A?

if this is the incorrect t pre-amp am I better off upgrading to a new one? What issues with the Rev A are there? When did they change? Sorry for all the questions and many thanks!

lee
    UK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Supporting Member LOGger
    Welcome Lee! I don't have any experience with the LH-3 pre-amps, but you are definitely in the right place, as there are some very knowledgeable folks here that should be able to offer some insight.

Administrator Ultra LOGger
    Wow... What a mess!..

Any ideas why the previous owner did that?

As for your questions....I'd email Leo .. at leo@lakland.com

He may be able to get you some answers.

Welcome

Peace

Doug

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    aka "Doude" or the "frumpy one"

LOG Bass (Hanson Vintage pickup) ; 55-07 (Blue Velvet) (ChiSonic 5 string test bass - refinished); JO5CS (SN 1); US BG5 PJ (Nordy pickups);
    55-76 (Black Beauty); Carlo CB550 custom (Bubinga Brother #1); Carlo CB550 HH fretless (Bubinga Brother #2); 2002 Skyline Scheff 5
    US PJ 5 (White lightning)(Hanson Vintage pickups); Active 55-60 (oly white, matching headstock and fretless ebony board) , TABBY

Supporting Member LOG Newbie
    Mine is a 2012 and it's a Rev A. Well, was as I just got it swapped out for a Bartolini set up.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocketus View Post
    Welcome Lee! I don't have any experience with the LH-3 pre-amps, but you are definitely in the right place, as there are some very knowledgeable folks here that should be able to offer some insight.
    Thank you all for the welcome and replies. I've no idea why the electrics have been messed with? Perhaps the previous owner swapped out the pre?

Hey Guys how noisy is your 44-94? - I can hear a little noise that disappears when I touch the bridge. The vol pot is a bit scratchy so I'm planning on swapping that out.

ive trimmed back the pre-amp a little using the trimmer and it attenuated the noise. Strange thiugh as it appears that the trip pot is not linear? Adjusting to the left maintains the level the same, adjust to the right its the same. Then I find a sweet-spot a little inbetween and I get a reduction in output. I'm trying to find that bump that Carl talks about in his set-up guide? Is this how the term pot should behave? Many thanks all!

if it turns out to be a faulty pre-amp do they come up on here at all?
    Last edited by Lee; 04-28-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Supporting Member Awesome LOGger
    I haven't seen many used LH-3's pop up here, but you can get a prewired harness at places like BestBassGear.com (NoAf) - pretty much a drop-in replacement as all the pots are already attached.

I've had several LH-3 equipped Laklands and none of them could be described as noisy when grounded properly. The trim pot or input gain doesn't sound like it's functioning as it should either. Adjusting left should decrease the output and adjusting right, increase. The 'sweet-spot' you mentioned is like a reset or starting point at the lowest input gain. Turning left from that point won't go any lower, but going right should increase the gain. If it doesn't, then it might be pooched.
    Last edited by Black Bart; 04-28-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Administrator Ultra LOGger
    Kudos ( repage later when I get to a real computer!) For Bart!!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    aka "Doude" or the "frumpy one"

LOG Bass (Hanson Vintage pickup) ; 55-07 (Blue Velvet) (ChiSonic 5 string test bass - refinished); JO5CS (SN 1); US BG5 PJ (Nordy pickups);
    55-76 (Black Beauty); Carlo CB550 custom (Bubinga Brother #1); Carlo CB550 HH fretless (Bubinga Brother #2); 2002 Skyline Scheff 5
    US PJ 5 (White lightning)(Hanson Vintage pickups); Active 55-60 (oly white, matching headstock and fretless ebony board) , TABBY

Supporting Member LOGger
    That does look like a rat's nest of wires in there, especially with the electrical taped splices. If it were mine I'd start over with a re-wire back to stock and go from there. The bridge ground might be missing if there is a hum that goes away when you touch the bridge. From there you can determine if the pre-amp itself is performing as it should.

Supporting Member Awesome LOGger
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocketus View Post
    If it were mine I'd start over with a re-wire back to stock and go from there. The bridge ground might be missing if there is a hum that goes away when you touch the bridge. From there you can determine if the pre-amp itself is performing as it should.
    I've now put the wiring back to factory standard.
    Looks like the OP already returned it to stock, but a good suggestion to check the bridge ground.

Supporting Member LOGger
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Looks like the OP already returned it to stock, but a good suggestion to check the bridge ground.
    My mistake, I did not see that mention of putting it back to stock already. Thanks.